Brake checks are one of the most important things you need to keep on top of as a car owner. Being aware of the signs that something may be wrong is vital, so that you can get your car looked at as soon as possible.
Brake pads: these provide the pressure and friction that your brake disc uses to slow your vehicle.
Brake fluid: This applies hydraulic pressure to the callipers when you apply your brake pedal. This then causes the pads to contact the brake discs, slowing your car. You should have your brake fluid checked every 18 months.
The good news is that most brake problems are quick and easy to fix, so it’s quite a small sacrifice to keep you and your passengers safely on the road. Get in touch with our friendly mechanics today to book a brake check.
Look out for these wearing brakes signs:
- A grinding noise: This may mean the brake pads have worn down and need replacing
- A spongy feeling: There may be air in the hydraulic system due to a brake fluid leak
- A pulsating feeling: You could have a distorted brake disc or drum
- Brake warning light: A fairly good indication that something is wrong!
- Handbrake pulling up more than 6 clicks: Your brake shoes may need attention